The Gables was the home of the Richardson family, owners of the Elswick Leather Works and was built in the mid 1870's.
The Gables was purchased in 1919 from the Richardson family and became the Princess Mary Maternity Hospital. This then moved to new premises in Jubilee Road and it was decided that The Gables should be totally independent. In 1948 the NHS decided not to take The Gables over in its rationalisation of local health services and by 1950 it was in financial difficulties. It was then forced to close and was sold to the Salvation Army who renamed it the Hopedene Nursing Home. This was closed in 1974.
After that it operated as a hostel which closed in 1994.
Photo courtesy of Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' photostream