Bath Lane

The street is named after Newcastle's earliest baths, built in 1781, at this location. The baths took water from Skinner Burn (now one of the city's 'hidden' streams) and included medicated vapour baths, enclosed cold baths, and an open swimming pool. The water supply was disrupted when a mine shaft was sunk nearby, leading to parts of the baths being closed down in the 1820s. They were demolished by 1860.

The most preserved parts of the Town Wall run parallel to Bath Lane, including Herber Tower and Durham Tower.
Town Wall Photos Here

Description sourced from Sitelines and Co-Curate


March 2019
In the background of some of the photos you can see the construction of the massive Hadrian Tower. More on Hadrian Tower later.


















House of Recovery, Warden's Close, Bath Lane
Built in 1804 as a Fever Hospital just outside the Town Walls to treat sufferers of Typhus, Small Pox and Cholera afflicting the poor of the Town. The hospital closed in 1888 when Walkergate Hospital was opened. Restored in 1988 for the North of England Museum Service. Source: Andrew Curtis






Old Photos of Bath Lane


St. John's National School Bath Lane Newcastle upon Tyne 1927
Photo courtesy of Newcastle Libraries




Bath Lane, Newcastle upon Tyne 1897
Photo courtesy of Newcastle Libraries




Bath Lane, Newcastle upon Tyne 1897
Photo courtesy of Newcastle Libraries




The Waterloo, Bath Lane, Newcastle upon Tyne, 1966
Photo courtesy of Newcastle Libraries




The Fever Hospital, Bath Lane, Newcastle upon Tyne 1995
Photo courtesy of Newcastle Libraries




Bath Lane, Newcastle upon Tyne 1969
Photo courtesy of Newcastle Libraries




Scottish and Newcastle Breweries, Bath Lane Offices, Newcastle upon Tyne, Aug 1969
Photo courtesy of Newcastle Libraries




Bath Lane/Corporation Street, Newcastle upon Tyne 1995
Photo courtesy of Newcastle Libraries




Big Luke's Restaurant, Bath Lane/Rutherford Street 1995
Photo courtesy of Newcastle Libraries




Bath Lane, Newcastle upon Tyne c.1980
A view of buildings on Bath Lane which formed part of a Further Education College taken c.1980. The building in the centre of the photograph is the House of Recovery built in 1804. Photo courtesy of Newcastle Libraries




Bath Lane, Newcastle upon Tyne 1910
Photo courtesy of Newcastle Libraries




Bath Lane Congregational Church, Bath Lane, Newcastle upon Tyne 1986
Photo courtesy of Newcastle Libraries




Rutherford College, Bath Lane, Newcastle upon Tyne c.1920
Photo courtesy of Newcastle Libraries




Sixth Form at Rutherford College, Bath Lane, Newcastle upon Tyne c.1919
Photo courtesy of Newcastle Libraries




Bath Lane School, Newcastle upon Tyne 1882
Photo courtesy of Newcastle Libraries




Town Walls, Bath Lane, Newcastle upon Tyne c.1995
Photo courtesy of Newcastle Libraries

No comments: