The Town Moor Improvement Act 1870 determined that two parcels of land, each of 35 acres (14 ha), would be developed for recreation. One would become Leazes Park with the other at the Town Moor. The original location of the park was to be the Bull Park where the City’s bull was penned for stud. The site was the wedge of land at the corner of Claremont Road and the Great North Road. Later this land became the Hancock Museum. The committee realised that the Bull Park was too small for the Exhibition and requested Town Moor recreation ground. This is where the current park is now. The Royal Jubilee Mining, Engineering and Industrial Exhibition was held in 1887 and proved to be a tremendous success, attracting 2,000,000 visitors.
The name Exhibition Park was first used during the Jubilee Exhibition of 1887 but the old name of Bull Park remained for some time. The only remaining item from the 1887 Exhibition is the grade II listed bandstand, which dates from 1875.
The North East Coast Exhibition
This North East Coast Exhibition of Industry, Science and Art was held at the Exhibition Park from May to October 1929 and was opened by the Prince of Wales on 14 May 1929. It was a symbol of pride and industrial success of the region and at the same time an advertisement for local industry and commerce. The Palace of Arts is the only building still remaining in the park today from this exhibition.
During 24 weeks operation a total of 4,373,138 people attended.
Gold watches were given to each one-millionth visitor.
Seven criminal offences recorded (six drunken offences and one pick-pocketing)
It closed on 26 October 1929 with a fireworks display.
Museum of Science and Industry
Between 1934 and 1983, a science museum was located in the Palace of Arts in Exhibition Park. Due to lack of space, in 1983 the collections moved to the former Co-Op warehouse in Blandford Square, which later became the Discovery Museum.
Military Vehicle Museum
A military vehicle museum was then housed within the Palace of Arts, from 1983 until 2006. For a period of time, it continued to house Turbinia, the first turbine-powered steamship, which was moved to the Discovery Museum in 1994.
The city council put the building up for sale in 2011, declaring that it could no longer afford repairs. It was purchased by Shepherd Offshore Ltd who stated that they intended to create a collection of horse-drawn carriages and vintage vehicles. The planned opening date was Easter 2015. However, plans changed and the Palace of Arts now hosts Wylam Brewery, which opened on 27th May 2016.
Tyneside Summer Exhibition
This event began to be held by the city council in the 1960s, and attempted to capture many of the elements of the earlier exhibitions. It was last held in 1986, when a £60,000 loss was recorded.
Wylam Brewery in the Palace of Arts
Wylam Brewery started brewing at South Houghton Farm, Heddon-on-the-Wall, Northumberland in 2000. Dave Stone and Rob Cameron bought into the business in 2010, and soon realised that due to growing demand Wylam had to move site to realise its potential. The Grade II listed Palace of Arts was the last surviving building from the North East Coast Exhibition of 1929. It was still vacant after being refurbished by Freddy Shepherd, the former owner of Newcastle United F.C. and became the new home of Wylam Brewery in May 2016. Alongside the new brewery is a brewery tap, which is open four days a week, and the "Grand Hall" which hosts live music and events.
Wylam produces high volumes of US-inspired heavily hopped IPA's on its 50hl kit. It has engaged in collaborations with other craft brewers, such as Cloudwater, Magic Rock, Northern Monk and Thornbridge. Growth in keg beer, which accounts for 70% of its output, has seen Wylam reduce its cask selection to three permanent real ales. Head brewer Ben Wilkinson said the brewery has successfully managed to keep both sets of drinkers happy.
Description courtesy of Wikipedia.
6th April 2022
The Born Free Forever exhibition is part of a year-long campaign to highlight the plight of lions both in the wild and in captivity. The free exhibition is the largest of its kind in the UK and will remain in Newcastle until 30th June 2022.
More information here Born Free Forever: Newcastle.
19th November 2020
An early morning visit just as the sun was rising.
23rd June 2016
23rd June 2015
20th November 2014
11th June 2014
29th October 2013
8th February 2012
28th September 2011
25th November 2010
3rd May 2010
1st June 2009
2nd December 2008
Exhibition Park Skate Park
11th February 2008
10th May 2006
30th January 2006
Exhibition Park Skate Park
- Sitelines - Exhibition Park
- Sitelines - Exhibition Park, Bandstand
- Sitelines - Exhibition Park, Palace of Arts
- Sitelines - Exhibition Park, Model Yacht Pavilion
- Sitelines - Exhibition Park, gate piers
- Sitelines - Exhibition Park, Coronation clock tower
- Sitelines - Exhibition Park, pavilion
- Wikipedia - Exhibition Park
- Urban Green Newcastle - Exhibition Park
- Co-Curate - Exhibition Park
- Timmonet - Exhibition Park
- Chronicle Live - The momentous North East Coast Exhibition of 1929
- Historic England - Military Vehicle Museum
See my other photos around Exhibition Park:
- Barras Bridge - The Great North Museum
- Barras Bridge - The Hancock Museum
- Jesmond - Brandling Park
- Leazes Park
- Newcastle University
- Royal Victoria Infirmary
- Spital Tongues
- Town Moor
- Town Moor - The Hoppings 2005 to 2010
- Town Moor - The Hoppings 2011
- Town Moor - The Hoppings 2012
- Town Moor - The Hoppings 2014
- Town Moor - The Hoppings 2015
- Town Moor - The Hoppings 2016
- Town Moor - The Hoppings 2017
- Town Moor - The Hoppings 2018