Jesmond

Jesmond is a residential suburb and is split into two electoral wards just north of the centre of Newcastle upon Tyne, England. The population is about 12,000. It is adjacent to, and to the east of, the Town Moor, providing pedestrian and cycle paths to Spital Tongues and the city's two Universities. It is widely considered to be one of the most affluent suburbs of Newcastle.


Description courtesy of Wikipedia - Jesmond which has a lot more information on Jesmond including the history of the area and notable people.



21st March 2022



Burdon Terrace, Fleming Memorial Hospital.
Hospital for sick children, converted to a business centre in 2019. 1887 by John Quilter and George Wheelhouse, for John Fleming. Red brick (in Flemish Coud) with sandstone ashlar dressings; lakeland slate roof with lead cupolas. Jacobean style. Symmetrical front of 2 and 3 storeys, 15 bays. Plinth, quoins, frieze and cornice above each floor, coped parapets. Projecting 5-bay central section has frontispiece of 3 full storeys. Glazed double doors and fanlight, in pilasters and enriched archivolt, framed by paired, half fluted pilasters and entablative, with carved spandrels, the centre section of an ashlar 2-storey canted bay. Similar pilasters on first floor support segmental pediment, with armorial cariving, and balustraded parapet. Carved name panel below central windows; windows in side sections. Flanking 2-storey bay have angle canted back to 3-storey outer bays under shaped gables with oculi and bands. Symmetrical 5-bay outer sections have central wider windows with scrolled feet and balustraded balconies on first floor, segmental pediments above.projecting chimney breast between each pair of outer bays. All windows stone mullioned and transomed (except for first floor centre and second floor in gabled bays, altered) in quoined surrounds. Pyramidal roof over centre bay has terracotta finial and tall flanking chimneys. All chimneys corniced and quoined. Central on ridge of outer sections are Small cupolas with lead bases, arcaded downs and wrought iron finials. Similar treatment on returns. Interior: main staircase with elaborate cast iron balustrade and domed rooflight; original panelling in hall and stairway. Doorway pilasters rest on 2 dated foundation stones, 1 laid by Lady Armstrong, with names of professionals, the other recording the eponymous benefactor's gift "in the Jubilee year of the reign of Her Majesty Queen Victoria in memory of Mary his loving wife who died 7th March 1882." Grade 2 Listed. Source: Sitelines.



Burdon Terrace, Fleming Memorial Hospital Lodge.
Hospital porter's lodge. 1887. Red brick in Flemish bond with sandstone ashlar dressings. Lakeland slate roof with terracotta ridges. Jacobean style. L-plan 1 storey, 3 bays. Round-arched door with archivelt in extruded stone porch with half-fluted pilasters, entablature and balustraded parapet with end ball fmials. Projecting right bay with quoins and plinth and a shaped pedimented gable with panel in elaborate surround; inscription illegible. Left bay has plinth and a quoined half-octagonal end with cornice and parapet. Stone mullioned and transomed windows. Roof hipped over left end and raised in centre to a pyramidal form crowned by an octagonal moulded stone stack on a brick base. Similar detail on other fronts, with another shaped gable on right return. Grade 2 Listed. Source: Sitelines.



Great North Road, Fleming Memorial Shelter.
Shelter built of buff coloured sandstone with capped pilasters flanking the opening on the east side. The opening is spanned by a timber beam which supports the timber gabled roof. The timber moulded finishings to the gables and eaves of the roof are in untreated oak. There is an inscription stone inside which states "This shelter - the gift of Stanley Miller intended for the use of patients and their parents visiting the Fleming Memorial Hospital for Sick Children MCMXXVIII". There is an inscription cut into the painted board of the Gable. The lettering has been gilded. It seems likely that this shelter has been repositioned from a different location. It has no clear relationship with the former hospital which has been converted into a business centre. Source: Sitelines.



Former Northern Counties Orphanage.
The former Northern Counties Orphanage was built in the Victorian period and was paid for by the Abbot and Philipson families. At the outbreak of World War Two its function changed when the Princess Mary Maternity Hospital moved to the premises. The building has recently undergone a sensitive conversion to flats, and the building remains a landmark in Jesmond and a familiar sight to travellers on the Great North Road. The west front of the red brick and sandstone building is 9 bays, of which the flanking bays project and have stone bay windows. In the central section a black wrought iron balcony runs along the building at first floor level. The central gable bears a stone with the words ‘Abbot Memorial’ as a testament to the building’s original purpose. Source: Sitelines.



Jesmond Road, Cradlewell Public House.
The Cradlewell pub, now being conveted into flats, was opened in 1904 by Robert Deuchar. It was built on the site of the original Cradlewell Public House which dated from c.1833. The pub took its name from the nearby water trough. Deuchar’s building is sandstone and brick. The main section is three storeys and there is a one storey extension which is now used as an entrance. A further entrance on the south face is surrounded with elaborate carving in the sandstone which contrasts with the muted decoration elsewhere. Another elaborate feature is the oriel window at the first floor on the south east corner. It has a sandstone bowl base and a parapet that rises to the top of the second floor and the windows are of stained glass. Source: Sitelines.



Holy Trinity Church, Churchill Gardens.
Parish church. 1908 chancel by Hicks and Charlewood; 1920-22 nave and tower completed by Hoare and Wheeler. Snecked sandstone with ashlar dressings; Lakeland slate roof. West tower with north and south stair turrets; aisled nave and south porch; aisled chancel and north vestry. Gothic style. Gabled porch has elliptical- headed double door in hollow-chamfered surround with Tudor roses under crocketed ogee dripmould. 3-stage tower has tall 3-light east window, 2-light window above, and paired elliptical-headed belfry openings; set-back buttresses and tall spire. Decorated windows, 2-light except for 5-light east window. Aisles buttressed. Parapets, those of tower, nave and nave aisles battlemented. Interior: ashlar; queen-post nave roof, arch-braced chancel roof. 6-bay round arcades on chamfered square piers without capitals; aisle arches spring from shafts on piers. Chancel and tower arches; 2 arches to Lady Chapel. Rear arches to windows. Tower baptistry has stone font on pedestal and shafts with font cover; chancel arch has rood beam. Oak panelling in chancel with inscription recording it as gift from Dalgliesh family in thanksgiving for victory in 1918. Bronze plaques record gift of chancel and Lady Chapel as memorials to Hoare family. Bronze panel records gift of nave and tower by Dalgliesh family as Great War memorial. High quality glass throughout with military insignia. Grade II Listed. Source: Sitelines.



Jesmond Road.



Jesmond United Reformed Church, Burdon Terrace.
Non-conformist church. 1887-8 by W.L. Newcombe. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar plinth, quoins and dressings: roofs of graduated Lakeland slate with bright red terra-cotta ridge tiles, stone cross finial. Nave and shallow paired transepts; chancel with vestries to rear under caretaker's flat. Aligned north-south. Ritual south-west tower. Free Gothic style. Steps up to paired half-glazed doors and overlights recessed in west porch. Paired pink granite shafts, with ashlar stiff-leaf capitals, support paired 2-centred arches. Gabled drip-mould above larger arch over porch. Two 3-light windows above, almond-shaped window in gable peak under 5 stepped lancets with slits. Stone cross finial; angle buttresses with stone spirelet at left. 3-stage tower has 3-light window in first stage, 2 small quatrefoil lights in second, tall paired 2-light belfry openings in third under parapet with pinnacles and spirelet; angle buttresses. Cusped lancets elsewhere, paired in clerestory and gabled transepts. Interior: painted plaster above boarded dado; king-post roof on shafted brackets. 4-bay arcades have round pink granite columns with ashlar plinths and capitals; ashlar half-column responds; double-chamfered 2-centred arches have flower-stopped continuous drip mould. Tall double-chamfered chancel arch with corbelled inner shaft. Barrel roof to chancel. Gallery in west end above vestibule. Organ with stencilled decoration fills chancel; Gothic- style central pulpit and sounding-board; similar-style communion table. Octagonal font on green marble shafts. Glass in east and transept windows by Kempe and Co; in west by Dearle of Morris and Co. High relief war memorial by Gilbert with figures of soldiers and St. George and angel flanking Crucifixion. Battle honour of Tyneside Scottish Regiment in W.W.I. Hall, attached to west front by 3-bay arcaded passage, has paired 3-light windows under gable containing 3 cusped slits; buttresses; roof has small gabled ventilators. Grade 2 Listed. Source: Sitelines.



Great North Road, W.D. Stephens Fountain.
Drinking fountain circa 1901. Signed by Marshall and Tweedy, architects and W. Donaldson, sculptor. In memory of W.D. Stephen 1827-1901, mayor and sheriff of Newcastle, promoter of maritime commerce and temperance and the welfare of the poor. Erected by public subscription. Sandstone ashlar and pink granite with bronze roundel; cast iron railings. Tall sandstone panel, with scrolled date panel in broken pediment, has garland swags to pediment and to flanking high obelisks on deeply moulded plinths. Low flat-coped walls at each side have iron balustrades. Granite basin beneath inscription in main panel with round plaque. The panel above the inscription was clearly intended for the display of a sculpted ornament, probably the bronze roundel identified in the List description. There is now no trace of the roundel. The fixing holes have been filled with concrete. Grade 2 Listed. Source: Sitelines.



Eskdale Terrace, Royal Grammar School.
1907 by Sir Edwin Cooper. Brick with stone dressings. Source: Sitelines.



Eslington Road, Lifton House.
Lifton House is a late Victorian villa set within the Brandling Village conservation area of Jesmond on a traffic island between Jesmond Parish Church and the Jesmond Metro Station.





20th September 2021



Jesmond Road - The Punchbowl.



Jesmond Road.



Churchill Gardens Community Library.



Holy Trinity Church, Churchill Gardns.





4th June 2021



Jesmond Dene Road.
What a pleasure it is to walk along this road overlooking Jesmond Dene now it has been made traffic free.





30th August 2020



Portland Terrace, Bus Depot.
A fine bus garage built in 1930 in painted concrete, with a splendid frontage of Greek Doric columns, forming a six vehicle entrance {1}. Bus depot, 1930 for United Automobile Services, to designs of Marshall and Tweedy of Newcastle upon Tyne and London; roof structure by A and J Main and Co Ltd of Glasgow and London. The contractor was T Clements and Sons, of Newcastle. Greek Doric style. Mid- and later-C20 alterations and additions. Source: Sitelines.



Portland Terrace.



Portland Terrace.
Looking North towards Jesmond Road.



Portland Terrace.
Looking South towards Sandyford Road.





9th June 2019














Archbold Terrace.
A few photos from a wander around Archbold Terrace showing its recent redevelopment. The area has changed a fair bit since the days when I used to go to The Archers for a pint.



The Carriage.
The old Jesmond Railway Station now serves as a restaurant



Sandyford Road.





26th January 2012





Old Quaker Meeting House.
The old Quaker Meeting House which was demolished in 2018. It was sandwiched between Archbold Terrace and the A1058 opposite Jesmond Parish Church.









Jesmond Parish Church.
Jesmond Parish Church is a parish church in the Church of England situated in Brandling Village in the Jesmond suburb of Newcastle upon Tyne, England. The church's official name is the Clayton Memorial Church, and is unusual among Anglican parish churches in not being named after either a saint who appears in the Church's calendar or a person of the Trinity. This reflects the Church's conservative Evangelical roots.

The church had a slightly unusual beginning. 1856 saw the untimely death of Rev Richard Clayton, Master of St Thomas' Church, Haymarket, and a local Evangelical luminary. In his place the church authorities wished to appoint a High Church successor who was out of sympathy with Clayton's Reformed Evangelical principles. A large number of the congregation of St Thomas's were deeply unhappy. A committee was formed with the intention of planting a new church nearby, which "will form a central point for the maintenance and promulgation of sound scriptural and evangelical truth in a large and populous town." At the time, much of the land around the site was open fields; the building was designed by the architect John Dobson and consecrated in 1861. Description courtesy of Wikipedia











St. George's Church.
St. George's Church, consecrated in 1888. A local shipbuilder, Charles Mitchell, appointed his shipyard architect, Thomas Ralph Spence, to design and build St. George's. The result is a Church that cannot easily be labelled, with a splendid Italianate tower dominating Jesmond and an ornate chancel, baptistry and roof of great artistic merit; the use of tile and mosaic in the style of Art Nouveau is particularly striking. The organ is one of the best in the diocese and the musical tradition continues in the context of the Family Communion.
Description courtesy of Northumbria.info





1st April 2011



The Collingwood Arms.





25th January 2011



The Punchbowl.



Manor House Road.



Forsyth Road.



Jesmond Library, St Georges Terrace.




West Jesmond Metro Station.



Osborne Road.





12th May 2010



Jesmond Parish Church.





21st January 2010






Jesmond Parish Church.





1st June 2009



Osborne Avenue, Penfold Pillar Box.
Newcastle's only hexagonal "Penfold" pillar box was erected in the period 1872-9. The type, which is one of the earliest, was named after the designer, Mr J.W. Penfold, and was introduced in 1866. In 1879 the more familiar cylindrical shape was adopted (or more accurately reintroduced, as the earliest boxes introduced by the novelist Anthony Trollope, who was also a Post Office Surveyor's Clerk, were also cylindrical). Pillar box. Between 1872 and 1879. Octagonal box of third Penfold type; plinth with moulded coping; high band with slot flanked by POST and OFFICE; moulded cornice; leaf-decorated low ogee top with bud finial, VR monogram below frame for list of collection times. Founder's name on plinth illegible under thick paint. Grade 2 Listed. Source: Sitelines.





20th June 2008



St. George's Church.





14th September 2007





Jesmond Picture House.
The former Jesmond Picture House stood on Lyndhurst Avenue adjacent to West Jesmond station. This suburban cinema opened on 2nd May 1921 and survived well into the multiplex age. It was designed by the Newcastle based architectural firm, White and Stephenson, and Newcastle artist Gerald Dorman was responsible for the scenic effects in the auditorium. Seating was 998 (486 stalls, 269 pit, 243 circle). It had a 26 feet wide proscenium. The Pit seating (front stalls-cheap seats!) were on a reverse rake, upwards towards the screen.
With arrival of Cinemascope, a new wider proscenium was built, this was the only alteration made during its lifetime. Part time bingo use came in 1974 but it went back to full time cinema use from 1978, and with a large population of students living in the area by then, average attendances were 400 to 500 each evening.
Made in America was the last film to be screened there, when it finally closed its doors in October 1993. The cinema was demolished in 2009 to make way for a new office and shopping complex, after standing derelict for nearly 16 years. Plans were approved by the local council in 2008. The new building, named The Jesmond, finally opened in March 2016.



West Jesmond Metro Station.



The Lonsdale, Lyndhurst Avenue and Lonsdale Terrace.



Jesmond Methodist Church, St George's Terrace.



Oakland Road.








12th May 2007



Jesmond Library, St George's Terrace.



Jesmond Pool, St George's Terrace.



St George's Terrace and Coniston Avenue.



Shops on St George's Terrace.



Osborne Road.



William Laing Fountain, Great North Road.
Complex design with basins at three levels executed in polished pink granite with a ball finial to the pillar surmounted by a decorative wrought iron feature. There is an inscription carved into one side of the base. There is a bronze faucet which has been vandalised and which has been blanked off by a crude steel plate screwed to the pillar. The ground level has been raised by a rough concrete surround. Source: Sitelines.





10th May 2007







St George's Church, Lindisfarne Road.
The Church of St George in Jesmond is a Grade 1 listed building. The church was designed by designed by Thomas Ralph Spence and its 154 ft high bell tower is a distinctive landmark in Jesmond. The foundation stone of the church was laid in January 1887; the building was consecrated on 16th October 1888 by Ernest Roland Wilberforce, the first Bishop of Newcastle.



Jesmond United Reformed Church, Burdon Terrace.



St Hilda's Parish Church, Thornleigh Road.



Clayton Road.



Forsyth Road.



High School for Girls Senior School, Tankerville Terrace.








8th September 2006



Holy Trinity Church, Churchill Gardens.



The Punchbowl, Jesmond Road.



Holy Trinity Church, Churchill Gardens.





More Information:
See my other photos around Jesmond:

No comments: