Near the western edge of Newcastle, Walbottle Dene forms a wide ribbon of ancient, broadleaved woodland and a haven for native wildlife running from Hexham Road, a few minutes walk west of Walbottle Campus, down to Spencer Court in Newburn. The network of paths and bridleways, criss-crossing the Dewley Burn in its steep-sided valley, makes a nice short walk although it can be very muddy at times so good footwear is essential.
Spencer Court has been in the news after a culvert leading from the Dene to Spencer Court collapsed causing extensive flooding in the area which has led to the demolition of two of recently built new blocks of flats in Spencer Court.
8th January 2014
25th May 2008
- Sitelines - Walbottle Dene
- Sitelines - Walbottle Dene Bridge
- Urban Green Newcastle - Walbottle Dene
- Co-Curate - Walbottle Dene
- Chronicle Live - Elderly woman is rescued from muddy Walbottle Dene
- Chronicle Live - Engineers repair collapsed culvert in Newburn
- Chronicle Live - Spencer Court flats demolished
- Chronicle Live - Going, going... gone - Spencer Court Block B in Newburn razed to the ground
- 28 Days Later - Spencer Court 2017
See my other photos around Walbottle: