Collingwood Street was built by Newcastle Corporation in 1809 to link Cloth Market to Westgate Road. The street was named after Newcastle born Admiral Lord Collingwood, the hero of the battle of Trafalgar (1805). In the early 19th century, the Royal Turf Hotel on Collingwood Street was the main coaching inn for Newcastle, with 3 horse drawn coaches daily from the Turf to London, 2 to Edinburgh and 1 each to Carlisle, Lancaster and Leeds. Coaching for long distance travel declined with the advent of the railway. During the later 19th century much of Collingwood Street was redeveloped, with banks and other commercial buildings. In 1898 the Turf Hotel was demolished to make way for Lloyds Bank at nos. 9-17 Collingwood Street. Likewise the Wellington Hotel was replaced by the grand Collingwood House (nos. 28-62) complex incorporating Barclay's bank. Many of the buildings on Collingwood Street are Grade 2 Listed.
Descripption harvested from the excellent Co-Curate - Collingwood Street
Right up to the modern day and Collingwood Street is a major part of the nightlife in Newcastle and is know the "Diamond Strip". The many tall buildings on such a narrow street are quite difficult to photograph and maybe another visit is needed.