Scottish & Newcastle Breweries were once a huge company here in Newcastle that employed thousands of people and they occupied large areas of land to the west of St James Park. For whatever reason the company has slowly pulled out of Newcastle in recent years and the last nail in the coffin was the moving of production and bottling of Newcastle Brown Ale over the river Tyne to the Dunston Federation Brewery. Scottish and Dunston does'nt quite have the same ring to it does it?
S&N sold the land in 2004. The deal meant 14.4 acres of the site have now passed from Scottish & Newcastle Breweries to Newcastle City Council, One NorthEast and Newcastle University who have pledged to use Science City status to enhance the region’s growing reputation for pioneering scientific research and as a key location for knowledge based business.
Here is an old article about the closure. BBC - S&N to close Newcastle brewery.
Most pages on this site start with the most recent photos first but for this page we will start with the oldest first as this is not a page that will probably not get updated again.
12th January 2006
17th January 2006
15th June 2006
8th February 2007
13th April 2007
19th May 2007
21st May 2007
24th May 2007
28th June 2007
12th July 2007
8th August 2007
22nd August 2007
30th August 2007
4th October 2007
5th November 2007
10th January 2008
24th March 2008
2nd May 2008
7th June 2008
22nd June 2008
The remaining part of the breweries to be knocked down was done with a controlled explosion.
Video of the detonation taken from St James Metro car park.
Video from Chronicle Live features Sir Bobby Robson pressing the detonate button.
23rd June 2008
18th July 2008
15th September 2008
17th September 2008
6th February 2009
From this date onwards my attention shifts to the construction of Newcastle Helix on the same site. Newcastle Photos - Newcastle Helix.
- Sitelines - Newcastle, Tyne Brewery
- Sitelines - Percy Street, Newcastle Breweries Offices
- Sitelines - Wellington Street, St Cuthbert's RC grammar school
- Sitelines - St. Thomas Street, Brewery Stables
- Sitelines - Gallowgate, Tyne Brewery office building
- Sitelines - Melbourne Street, malt house
- Sitelines - Wellington Street, brewery visitor centre
- BBC - S&N to close Newcastle brewery
- Wikipedia - Scottish And Newcastle
- Brewery History - Newcastle Breweries Ltd
- Brewery History - Scottish and Newcastle Breweries Ltd
- Grace's Guide - Newcastle Breweries
- BBC - Newcastle Brown Ale memorial saved by church