The bridge was designed and constructed by Sir W.G. Armstrong and Company Limited of Elswick, the work being begun in the year 1873. It was first used for road traffic on the 15th June 1876 and opened for river traffic on the 17th July 1876.
The engine room taken on a visit during Heritage Open Days in 2008.
A short video showing the bridge in action
- More information
- Port of Tyne Authority - Swing Bridge
- Flickr: Photos tagged with Swing Bridge
- Flickr: Swing Bridge Tyne Group
- Swing Bridge (A Sense of Place project created for Alex Telfer) May-June 2007