By the 1970s the building had become The Mitre pub, before achieving national fame in 1989 as the Byker Grove youth club in the BBC children's television series, Byker Grove. The final episode of Byker Grove was filmed in August 2006.
Benwell Towers has been up for sale since summer 2007, and is still unused.
The towers were also in our local newspaper The Evening Chronicle recently due to a problem with Japanese Knotweed. Evening Chronicle - Byker Grove site blighted by Japanese weeds
- Wikipedia - Benwell Towers
- Images of England - Benwell Towers Detailed Record
- BBC - Byker Grove feature
- Newcastle West - Medieval Times
- Byker Grove 'haunted'. Benwell Towers, where the TV programme Byker Grove was made, is now attracting the interest of ghost hunters.
- An old photo of Benwell Towers c1910
- YouTube: 100 Greatest Kids Shows - Byker Grove
- Byker Grove TV set in Benwell is finally sold