This Cemetery stands on Jesmond Road, opposite Jesmond Old Cemetery and was the first cemetery in Newcastle to be instigated by the Burial Board. Consecrated in 1855 and opened in 1856 this was very much a rural part of Newcastle. The residential housing surrounding the cemetery on 3 sides were built later.
Noted Newcastle architect Benjamin Green designed the cemetery, its buildings and the fine Gothic archway over the entrance from Jesmond Road. The cemetery is surrounded by cast iron railings with fleur-de-lys heads.
The cemetery was extended to Osborne Avenue, from just under 10 acres by another 1.3 hectares in 1881.
In 1924 Carliol Square Gaol was demolished and the bodies of its executed criminals were transferred into unmarked graves in the cemetery.
In total around 90,000 burials have taken place here.
Thomas Harrison Hair (1810-1875) the artist best known for his Views of the Collieries of Northumberland and Durham, is buried here in an unmarked grave.
Description courtesy of Sitelines.
21st March 2022
20th September 2021
Gate, walls, piers, gates and railings.
Cemetery gateway, walls, piers, gates and railings. Dated 1856; by Green. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings; wrought iron gates; cast iron railings. Gothic style. High gable over 2-centred arch with 12 shafts each side and many mouldings; gabled ends have fantastic beasts climbing down kneelers; head-stopped dripmoulds, buttresses and finials.
High, pointed coping to flanking walls containing pedestrian doors in arches; end piers have gables with fleur-de-lis moulding. Chamfered coping to dwarf quadrant walls and similar walls along cemetery front, with 4 square piers at each side having pyramidal coping. High gates are Gothic-patterned; railings have fleur-de-lis heads.
Listed Grade 2 Sitelines.
2nd February 2009
31st May 2006
- Co-Curate - All Saints Cemetery
- Sitelines - Jesmond, All Saints Cemetery, mortuary chapels
- Sitelines - All Saints Cemetery, grave of Samuel Smith
- Sitelines - All Saints Cemetery, grave of Alexander Gardner
- Sitelines - All Saints Cemetery, grave of Michael Joseph Quigley
- Sitelines - All Saints Cemetery, grave of James Skinner
- Sitelines - All Saints Cemetery, grave of Francis Batey
- Sitelines - All Saints Cemetery, grave of Antonio Marcantonio
- Sitelines - All Saints Cemetery, grave of George Henry Carr
- Sitelines - All Saints Cemetery, grave of John James Lightfoot
- Sitelines - All Saints Cemetery, grave of Josephine Salisse
- Wikipedia - Benjamin Green
See my other photos around Jesmond:
- Jesmond - Adderstone Cres - Road Resurfacing Blooper
- Jesmond - Brandling Park
- Jesmond - Jesmond Dene Nurseries
- Jesmond - Jesmond Old Cemetery
- Jesmond - Jesmond Towers
- Jesmond - St. Andrews Cemetery
- Jesmond Dene
- Jesmond Dene - Fishermans Lodge Restaurant Fire
- Jesmond Dene - Pets Corner
- Jesmond Dene - St Mary's Chapel
- Jesmond Dene Banqueting Hall
- Jesmond Station (The Carriage)
- Jesmond Vale
- South Gosforth
- Town Moor