Charlotte Square was built in 1770 by architect William Newton. It was the first London -style housing development associated with a garden to be built in Newcastle.
William Newton was also responsible for building The Assembly Rooms and St Anns Church amongst his many projects. A list of his work can be seen here Wikipedia - William Newton
The square itself and its garden have recently been restored to create an attractive and fully functional public space.
Description harvested from Newcastle.gov.uk - Blackfriars and the Surrounding Areas