The Park was opened to the public by the Chairman of the Gosforth Urban District Council (UDC) on the 6th August 1932. The south Bowling Green was laid out and opened by Mrs. Blenkinsop, wife of the UDC Chairman on the 15th June 1934.
Later in 1934 more land belonging to the Roman Catholic authorities which adjoined the park abutting onto Church Road and Moor Road North was acquired. Maxwell Hart Limited, of Manchester was awarded a contract to lay an additional north Bowling Green for £680. Play area facilities were available from the 1st May 1937, but the UDC dispensed with an opening ceremony.
17th July 2014
27th April 2006
- Urban Green Newcastle - Gosforth Central Park
- Wikipedia - Gosforth Central Park
- Sitelines - Gosforth Central Park
- Sitelines - Gosforth Central Park, War Memorial
- Historic England - Gosforth War Memorial Pillar, Gosforth Central Park
See my other photos around Gosforth:
My back yard ! and interesting bit of history
Patrick / Graniers
Not too many photos though. :) I'll get back there sometime soon for some more.
Post a Comment