Market Street

Market Street in Newcastle runs from the east of the city centre near the central motorway to Grainger Street and the Grainger Market. Most of the buildings along the street were built in the 19th century redevelopment of the city centre by Richard Grainger. Near the west end of Market Street is an entrance to Central Arcade (1906) which is located in the Central Exchange Buildings (c1838).
The Theatre Royal is located by the junction of Market Street and Grey Street. Market Street intersects with Grey Street, Pilgrim Street and John Dobson Street / Carliol Street.

The street was extended c1908 and the buildings on this section of the street, east of John Dobson Street, (Market Street East) were mostly built in the early 20th century, included Plummer House (1909) and Carliol House (1927), both of which are Grade 2 Listed.


Description courtesy of Co-Curate.



23rd July 2022



Market Street, Nos. 2 to 10.

Houses, now offices. Circa 1839 for Richard Grainger. Sandstone ashlar; Welsh slate roof. 4 storeys; 9:6:2 bays, the 6 projecting slightly.
Renewed ground floor except for No. 10 at left which has plinth and rustication, fascia and cornice. Steps up to 4-panelled door and overlight with glazing bars; renewed windows. No.8 has c.1900 faience ground floor in free Baroque style.
Sash windows on upper floors, with glazing bars to all in No. lO, some to upper floors of remainder. Aprons to second-floor windows above band; prominent cornice to second-floor entablature. Top eaves band and cornice.
Grade 2 Listed. Source: Sitelines.




Market Street, Nos. 12 to 18, Lloyds Bank

Grey Street No. 102 includes Nos. 2-6 Hood Street and Nos. 12-18 Market Street. Houses and bank, now bank. Circa 1839 for Richard Grainger. Sandstone ashlar, Welsh slate roof. Classical style. 4 storeys, 9 bays.
Steps up to central renewed door and fanlight in recessed centre. Round-headed ground floor windows with pilasters and archivolts. Bays defined by wide flat Tuscan pilasters supporting entablature with carved wreath on frieze. Giant Corinthian columns above, fluted columns in centre.
All windows sashes with glazing bars. Tall ashlar-corniced chimneys. Whole interior redeveloped behind street façade.
Grade 2 Listed. Source: Sitelines.









11th June 2022



Market Street, Nos. 1 and 3.

Shops and houses, now restaurants and offices. Circa 1837 by Benjamin Green for Richard Grainger. Part of left return of Theatre Royal in Grey Street. Sandstone ashlar, Welsh slate roof.
Restaurants have circa 1900 curved shop windows with slender pilasters, leaded upper lights and round heads, flanking central recessed glazed doors. Central office entrance has panelled double door and overlight with glazing bars. Upper floors have giant Tuscan Order to 2 right bays which project slightly. Architraves to all windows; those in 2 right bays have cornices to first and projecting stone sills to second floors. Second-floor entablature. Plain reveals to top sashes under eaves band and cornice.
Grade 2 Listed. Source: Sitelines.




Market Street, Nos. 5 and 7.

Shops and houses; then Barclays Bank; now restaurant. Circa 1837 by Benjamin Green for Richard Grainger. Part of left return of Theatre Royal, Grey Street. Sandstone ashlar; Welsh slate roof. Classical style. 4 storeys and attics, 6 bays.
Altered ground floor has channelled rustication; renewed panelled double doors in first, fourth and six bays, and windows in other bays, have joggled lintels. Ground-floor cornice.
All windows renewed pivoting lights with glazing bars. Upper floors plain in left 3 bays; right 5 bays have square attached Giant Doric columns. Second-floor entablature, breaking forward over right 5 bays; third floor has pilasters above Order and top cornice breaking forward over each pilaster.
Grade 2 Listed. Source: Sitelines.




Market Street, Nos. 9 to 17.

Nos. 9 to 17 odd (Theatre Royal lounge and restaurant; The Royal P.H.). Shops and houses, now public house and restaurant. Circa 1837 by Benjamin Green for Richard Grainger. Sandstone ashlar; Welsh slate roof. 4 storeys, 7 bays in all.
Ground floor has rusticated pilasters and entablature; altered windows under cornices.
Upper floors have flat Roman Doric pilasters to third and fourth bays; sash windows, most with glazing bars. Second-floor windows have moulded sills; second-floor entablature with prominent cornice.
Top-floor windows in plain reveals under eaves band and cornice. Right return of the Royal P.H. is part of the composition of the Grey Street elevation of the Theatre Royal.
Grade 1 Listed. Source: Sitelines.




Market Street, Nos. 19 to 39.

Includes Nos. 77 to 85 odd Grey Street (Earl Grey House) on left return. Shops and houses, now shops and offices. Circa 1837, probably by John Wardle, for Richard Grainger. Sandstone ashlar; Welsh slate roof. 4 storeys, with some attics; 28 bays.
Ground floor altered. Giant Ionic Order to end and central 5-bay pavilions, pilasters defining each 5 end bays, attached columns the central 5, all fluted. Right 3 columns of centre shorter, stepping up to accommodate change in level.
Windows in plain reveals, mostly sashes, some renewed and some with glazing bars. Second floor sill band except in 2 right centre bays. Second- floor entablature with prominent cornice.
Top floor has sashes in plain reveals, panelled pilasters in pavilions; and top cornice and blocking course. Panelled parapet in centre.
Nos. 19 to 27 (Earl Grey House), with inserted Mansard roof and attic windows, are extensively rebuilt behind facade and are included for group value.
Grade 2 Listed. Source: Sitelines.









17th February 2022



Bamburgh House.
Demolition of Bamburgh House and the neighbouring Tux 2 nightclub is underway.




Carliol House.

Fine example of an interwar regional electricity central offices and control room for NESCO (Newcastle upon Tyne Electric Supply Company), important historically as a regional model for the national grid.
The building façade in Portland stone has some good classical detailing and bears a plaque commemorating J W Swan's pioneering contribution to the industry. Very fine inter-war building (1927) by Tait, Burnet and Lorne. Included electrically heated boilers for central heating, high speed electric lifts and a central vacuum plant for cleaning the building.
Merz and McLellan, consulting engineers, were accomodated in the same block. 1924-8 by LJ Couves and Partners and Burnet, Tait and Lorne {McCombie 2009, 34}. Steel frame, Portland stone cladding. A strong composition with a low-domed corner turret incorporating showroom entrances.
Bronze plaque by Richard A. Ray, 1931, to Sir Joseph Wilson Swan, inventor of the electric incandescent lamp and a pioneer in the science of photography. The long, sleek Market Street front curves downhill. At its centre a Greek-derived office entrance of granite with fat Doric columns of grey fossil-flecked limestone.
In 2007 Gifford carried out an appraisal of the building. Internally, it was noted that the main vestibule and hall were furnished with original floorings and light fittings, together with the main and east staircases. The majority of the internal doors feature original inlay or scoring work while specialised marbling paintwork survives on the doorframes and skirting boards of the second floor together with Art Deco hanging lamps. The fittings of the control room of the North Eastern Electric Supply Co. still survive in the western end of the building, which has remained largely unchanged.
Source: Sitelines.






2nd January 2022



Carliol House.





12th September 2018



Market House Student Accommodation.






26th May 2018



Market House Student Accommodation.






24th February 2018



Market House.



Market House Student Accommodation and Anderson House.






7th January 2018



Market House Construction.






26th November 2017



Market House Construction.






19th September 2017



Market House Construction.






30th August 2017



Market House Construction.






15th May 2017



Market House Construction.






28th January 2016



Central Exchange Building.






9th July 2015



Carliol House.






9th November 2014


Old Northumbria Police Headquarters.









Pilgrim St, Central Police, Fire Station and Magistrates Court.

1931. Has a corner entrance. Built in Portland stone. Has a large main doorway and giant columns along Market Street and Pilgrim Street with mythical beasts. This is the third Police Station on this site since 1840. Designed by Cackett, Burns Dick and Mackellan.
Grade 2 Listed. Source: Sitelines.




Anderson House.

A good quality 19th century? Sandstone ashlar façade in 18th century style. Three storeys and a dormer attic, and seven bays.
The three central first-floor windows have balconies and open pediments. The doors are in the end bays, flanking three segmental-arched windows. The ground floor masonry is rusticated.
Internally, the building was remodelled c.1909 and may have been further altered during the addition of a modern extension. Externally, the drain pipes date between 1901-1930 identified by their British Standard Mark.
Source: Sitelines.






25th December 2013



Market Street.






16th May 2010



Bamburgh House.
On the corner of Market Street and John Dobson Street.






26th August 2007




Central Exchange Building.






29th July 2007



Central Exchange Building.






7th June 2006



Market Street.






More Information:
See my other photos around Market Street:

No comments: