Heaton Road

I started to gather my many photos of the Heaton area together for a post and found around half of them were solely photos of Heaton Road so I though it deserved a page of it's own and the Heaton post will show up on this site at some stage in the near future. Don't forget that you can mail me if you want to see a particular part of Newcastle whether I've already published a page on that area or not.

Anyhoo, Heaton Road is the area that I grew up in in the 70's and 80's and I attended the nearby North View School which has now been demolished. If anyone has any photos of the school that they would like to share with readers of this site please get in touch.


April 2010

A few pictures of Heaton Methodist Church on Heaton Road for readers Bob and Jean Carrick who were married there but are now living in the US.






November 2009

Heaton Road



March 2009

Heaton Road

Heaton Road



July 2008

Heaton Road

Heaton Road

Heaton Road

Heaton Road

Heaton Road

Heaton Road

Heaton Road

Heaton Road

Heaton Road



June 2008

Heaton Road

Heaton Road

Heaton Road

Heaton Road

Heaton Road

Heaton Road

Heaton Road



May 2007

Heaton Road

Heaton Road

Cloughs sweet shop (Cloughies") was, and still is, the best sweet shop in Newcastle, or possibly the world. :) The shop itself has remained largely unchanged in my lifetime and the feelings of nostalgia can be as overpowering as the smell of hundreds of different types of sweets when I enter the doors today. If you've never paid a visit before now is the time!

12 comments:

Muriel said...

Many thanks for these wonderful pictures of Heaton Road. I was brought up on Stannington Avenue and remember Cloughies and all the old shops. I went to North View School 1940 - 1946 before going to heaton High. Now reside in Misissauga, Ontario, Canada

Thanks again for the memories not only of Heaton but many of the surrounding areas and places

ILuvNUFC said...

No problem at all :) You grew up 2 minutes from me but a quite few years earlier. You don't have any old photos of the school that you would like to share with us do you?

I'll try to remember to get a picture of Stannington Avenue for when I do my main Heaton post sometime soon.

Muriel said...

Sorry I don't have any pictures of the old 'institution'. Going there during the war years, photographic equipment was limited. Only 'posh' people had cameras! Thanks in advance for Stannington Ave. I lived at # 5 from 1938 - 1959

All the best, canny lad!

ILuvNUFC said...

No worries about not having any photos, it's always worth an ask or as we say shy bairns get nout!. :)

I'll be down that way soon so I'll grab a pic of number 5 for you

epsonone said...

The ninth one down was the old Co-op and at the side just behind the car was the entrance for the horse and carts for the C0-0p

epsonone said...

At picture 18 Heaton glaziers was a Fruit shop ,The black door,that was the first house I lived in and when you went down the back stairs you could help your self to the fruit.
I also went to North view school a little before your time

Angelus71 said...

I remember Cloughies....

I almost had to turn sideways to get in through that thin door :)

Once again, great pics Steve.

ILuvNUFC said...

Thanks :)

I have that same problem with the door these days!

Anonymous said...

Going through these pictures of Heaton I saw the comment from Epsonone. That door was number 121 Heaton Road and relatives of mine lived there in the 40s!!!! I visited often

Muriel

ILuvNUFC said...

It's certainly a small world.

Thanks :)

Anonymous said...

Hello. it is nice looking at those pictures. My Nanna lived at 118 Heaton Road.She lived above the fruit shop/ Bank (when they were there)I`d love to go back inside the property for a visit for old times.

Linda.

ILuvNUFC said...

Hello and thanks.
Just near Cloughs sweet shop as well :)