Old Tyne Tees Television Studios

Tyne-Tees Television recently moved to new studios in the Gateshead area and this is the old studios on City Road in Newcastle. I bet the staff miss having the great pub The Egypt Cottage next door to the studios. This is also where the TV show The Tube was filmed. It was called The Tube due to the tube like entrance on City Road to that particular studio.

EDIT: Demolition of the site has begun. See here Tyne Tees Television (City Road) Demolition

2006/2007










More information:
Inside City Road Formerly the Tyne Tees Logo Page
City Road: History | The life and times of TTTV and Tyne Tees

8 comments:

Doogal Bell said...

Is the Egypt Cottage still there? I thought it has gone as part of the quayside redevelopment. It's been a long while since I went there, top pub!

ILuvNUFC said...

Yeh it's still there. I've never been in there for at least 10 years.

If my memory serves me well, which it rarely does, I used to love the big open fire in there.

J.Grey said...

Does anybody know whats going to happen with the Studios? Is it abandoned now? I hope its not going to be made into flats...

ILuvNUFC said...

I could be wrong but I think the building is still being used for something tv related but I found ths story from the Evening Chronicle back in April...

The ex-TV studios is expected to be bulldozed, and following consultations with residents and businesses, council officials are supporting a new mixed development there.

Anonymous said...

June 26, 2008...

The Tyne Tees building is being rented out. It currently is home to Metro Church and the venue is known as the Bethshan Centre.The Church meetings are held in the studio where The Tube was broadcast. The atmosphere is vibrant, lively and worth a visit. Metro Church Services are at:
10:45am Tyne Tees building, City Road Newcastle
4pm House of Prayer, Park Road Sunderland
6pm Student Union Bar Durham University.

Senior Pastors: Ken & Lois Gott
Youth Pastors:Tim & Joanne Dunnit
Worship Leader Luke Finch.

ILuvNUFC said...

Thanks. :)

Lily Ve said...

Just looked on Google earth to see what the new flats look like. Street google still has the whole building and Tube tunnel still intact...

ILuvNUFC said...

As far as I know there are no plans for flats on the site at the moment unless anyone else knows different.

The last I heard was that the site is being left undeveloped until the economy picks up.