The moor was mentioned as early as 1357 in a royal charter linking the Town Moor to the town of Newcastle. In 1774 an Act of Parliament gave the Moor to the City Corperation and the Freemen. In 1925 legislation was granted for a public right of way across the moor and this was reaffirmed in a 1988 Act of Parliament that secured the Moor as an open, public space. The Freemen of the city of Newcastle have the right graze their cattle there which they do as you will see in the photos.
Once a year for a week or so The Town Moor plays host to reputedly Europe largest travelling fair The Hoppings. My photos of the fair can be seen here The Hoppings.
- Newcastle City Council - Town Moor
- Town Moor Explosion - 17th December 1867
- Town Moor, Newcastle upon Tyne - Wikipedia
- The Freemen of Newcastle upon Tyne's webpage has a small section on the The Moor.
- Townmoor.net. Details of an exhibition held at Newcastle's Guildhall until October the 31st.
- Newcastle Town Moor, 1938