Eldon Square was built as part of the 1825-40 reconstruction of Newcastle city centre.
In 1824 John Dobson was commissioned by Richard Grainger to produce designs for Eldon Square. The design was for three terraces facing a central square, each terrace being of two and a half storeys. The east and west terraces consisted of 27 bays of windows, whilst the north terrace had 39 bays. The first floors had continuous cast-iron balconies with Grecian honeysuckle decoration. Beyond this and the giant Doric pilasters at the end of each terrace there was no other decoration. The terraces were faced with finely-cut ashlar.
In the 1960s the west and north terraces around the square were demolished to be replaced by part of Eldon Square Shopping Centre which now dominates Old Eldon Square.
Some renovation was completed in 2008 and the square now features new landscaping and ground level access to the shopping centre.
Description harvested from Eldon Square - Wikipedia
Eldon Square before the renovation
October 2007 : The work starts
February 2009: Works completed
Eldon Square Shopping Centre Redevelopment photos