The burial ground, known locally as Plaguey Fields or Grannies Park, was the most important con-conformist graveyard in Newcastle in the early and mid-seventeenth century, when many Protestant, Quaker, Baptist and Methodist immigrants buried their dead here. Use of the ground was heavy throughout the plague years and only fell out of use when the 1853-54 cholera epidemic closed all graveyards. In 1930 the ground was laid out as a play area and the remaining tombstones, around 200, laid down as flagging for paths, with the exception of those former non-conformist ministers, which can be found upright in one corner of the site.
The old Ouseburn School
Shepherds Scrap Metals
The gravestones of the non-conformist ministers
The gravestone paths
Tyneside Grave Matters - Ballast Hills Burial Ground. This site also has a list of some of the deceased who are buried here.
rootsweb.com - Ballast Hills Burial Ground. A little more information.