Leazes Park Road

Leazes Park Road runs north from Percy Street towards the Royal Victoria Infirmary.

At the southern end of Leazes Park Road was the Leazes Park Synagogue. The building was designed in 1880 by Scottish architect John Johnstone, who was also responsible for Newcastle's old town hall. It is a grade II listed building, whose elaborate two-storey sandstone frontage was designed in the North Italian style.

The Newcastle Old Hebrew Congregation traces its roots back to 1838 and the founding of Temple Street Synagogue, which merged with the Charlotte Square Synagogue to form the Newcastle United Hebrew Congregation. The amalgamated congregation moved into the new synagogue on Leazes Park Road, which was consecrated on 25 August 1880. There were further mergers in 1924 and 1973, but the Leazes Park Synagogue continued to serve as one of the synagogues of the united congregation until its final closure service on 3 May 1978.

The synagogue was extended in the 1920s. The synagogue had a basement schoolroom and a Jewish Sports club was formed there in 1934.

The Leazes Park Synagogue building was put to use as a shopping arcade until a fire destroyed the interior in 1989. Restoration was completed by 1996 and it is now used for student accommodation.

The further northern stretch of Leazes Park Road contains Victorian housing, now used as small business premises. Those car standing areas were small secluded gardens, and those small windowed upper storey rooms housed the servants.

Description courtesy of Wikipedia and Timmonet.

21st July 2023

The Leazes End and Companions Social Club.

The Newcastle Companions Social Club has had a black and white takeover.

10th July 2022

Leazes Park Road, No. 18.

Leazes Park Road, No. 21.

19th June 2022

Leazes Park Road, No. 23.

9th June 2019

Leazes Arcade.

Synagogue, shopping arcade, now student accommodation. 1880 by John Johnstone. Sandstone ashlar with rock-faced plinth; Welsh slate roof. North Italian style.

Basement and 2 storeys; 1:3:1 bays, the central 3 under gable. Outer entrance bays have end pilasters; double doors, and fanlights with circle glazing bars, between pink granite shafts under moulded round arches; 5 arcaded windows on upper floor. Pilasters flank central 3 bays; intersecting segmental arcade contains 2 side and 4 centre ground floor windows; upper windows paired under round arches with Star of David carved in tympana. Sloped Lombard frieze up gable. 8-foil blind window in gable peak with acroterion. Blocks above pilasters have high, curved pyramidal finials with fishscale pattern.

Grade 2 Listed. Source: Sitelines.

Leazes Park Road no. 4/ Percy Street no. 11-21.

Newcastle Labour Club.

14th May 2014

Leazes Arcade.

32-52, Leazes Park Road.

Late C18 or early C19. Brick, all but No. 34 stuccoed. Welsh slate roofs, Nos.46 and 50 felted over; brick chimneys. Each three storeys, two bays.

Doors, some panelled, some flushed, some C20, mainly in pilaster-and-entablature doorcases, paired at party walls. Sash windows with glazing bars or margin lights. Some wedge stone lintels and stone sills. Nos.36 and 50 have C20 glazing, and several top windows have been altered.

Venetian ground floor window to No. 52, which also has an open-segmental-pedimented doorcase. Small shop front inserted in No. 36. Nos. 32, 44 and 46 have flat-headed dormers inserted, Nos.38-44 undergoing restoration at time of survey.

Grade 2 Listed. Source: Historic England.

Newcastle Companions Social Club.

The Trent House, Leazes Lane.

54-56, Leazes Park Road.

52-56, Leazes Park Road.

22nd June 2008

More Information:
See my other photos around Leazes Park Road:

No comments: