A towering 9ft bronze sculpture shows the former Toon manager with his hands in his suit pockets and right boot resting on a football.
Hundreds of fans flocked to the unveiling led by Sir Bobby’s family, manager Alan Pardew, Gazza and Peter Beardsley.
Morpeth artist Tom Maley worked closely with Sir Bobby’s family on the design for over a year before it was cast.
Sir Bobby’s eldest son Paul, said: “The statue makes him look like a man in control and that epitomised the way he managed to make other people feel ahead of a big match. It’s a very real likeness of how he looked. We knew what it would be like but just to see the cloths come off was still an emotional moment for me.”
19th June 2022
27th October 2019
7th May 2012
- Sculptor Tom Maley
- Chronicle Live - Memory of Sir Bobby Robson lives on at St James'
- Wikipedia - Bobby Robson
- Sir Bobby Robson Foundation
- BBC - Robson was gentleman of game
See my other photos around St James' Park:
- St James' Park
- St James' Park - Alan Shearer Statue
- St James' Park - Jackie Milburn Statue
- St James' Park - Sir Bobby Robson Memorial Garden
- St James' Park - Sir Bobby Robson Remembrance
- Barrack Road - Downing Plaza Construction
- Leazes Park
- Leazes Terrace
- Newcastle Science Central
- Scottish & Newcastle Breweries
- Wellington Street - J&W Lowry - Abandoned
Not convinced at all.
Post a Comment