The place-name 'Walker' is first attested in 1242, where it appears as Waucre. This means 'wall-carr', that is to say, 'the marsh by the Roman wall', a reference to Hadrian's Wall. Today, a small fragment of the wall can be found in neighbouring Byker to the west, and Segedunum, a major site at the end of the Wall can be found in Wallsend to the east.

Large-scale coal-mining began in the area in the early 1700s, with up to ten collieries in operation in the Walker area. A wagon-way was constructed during this period to facilitate transportation of coal to the riverside staithes.

Walker used to have a large shipbuilding industry, particularly the yard of Armstrong Whitworth at High Walker, but this has declined over the past 50 years and the area has suffered as a result, with many jobs being taken away from the community.

Description courtesy of Wikipedia.

25th July 2023

Roman Avenue, Harry Potter Car.

23rd June 2023

Welbeck Road, Former Walker Library.

Walker Library was presented to the city of Newcastle by Alderman Sir William Haswell Stephenson, who was a local industrialist and benefactor. He dedicated the library to the memory of his wife, Lady Stephenson, when it opened in 1908. The Edwardian building, designed by John Dyson, was constructed using brick and stone. The coat of arms of Lady Stephenson can still be seen carved in stone above the original doorway.

Source: Sitelines

6th June 2022

Holywell Avenue, Platinum Jubilee Tat.

The people who grinned themselves to death....

30th May 2022

Mitchell Street, Crocketts Hotel.

Opened circa 1913 as The Wincomblee Hotel and owned by Armstrong Whitworth. In 1937 Robert Deuchar bought it for £2,750. Later it became a Scottish and Newcastle pub. In 2013 the name changed to Crockett's Hotel.

Source: Sitelines

28th April 2021

Wharrier Street, The Jubilee Club.

12th February 2021

Scrogg Road War Memorial.

The war memorial consists of a Portland stone angel surmounting a grey granite stepped pillar. The angel faces east looking over Walker Park and has an outstretched right arm. The inscription reads...

Erected by public subscription in honoured memory of the gallant men of Walker who sacrificed their lives in the Great War 1914-1918, 1939-1945.

Source: Sitelines

15th September 2020

Welbeck Road Prefabricated Houses.

Wincomblee Road.

Tethered Horse on Fisher Street.

28th February 2013

Wharrier Street School Demolition.

5th January 2010

Scrogg Road War Memorial.

21st March 2009

Sutton Street, Walkergate Primary School.

2nd February 2009

Scrogg Road.

6th June 2006

White Street, Wincomblee Workshops.

The Wincomblee Workshops building is a three storey Edwardian red brick structure with sandstone details on the door surrounds, some window surrounds, pediments and the cornice. The east face curves with the bend of White Street. There are entrances at either end of this side of the building. Inscription stones above these entrances say ‘A W & Co’ and ‘MCMXV’ ('1915' in Roman numerals). The south face of the building has round windows at first floor level. On the east side a low wall topped by wrought iron railings runs along the length of the building and beyond.

Source: Sitelines

More Information:
See my other photos around Walker:

No comments: