The parish church is dedicated to St Mary the Virgin and was consecrated about the year 1050. It is thought that it was built on the site of an even earlier Christian meeting place marked by a standing cross, a fragment of which is under the church pulpit. St Mary’s has the tallest Saxon tower in the Tyne Valley. The building has three distinct architectural styles - a Saxon tower, a Norman doorway and early English Nave and Chancel. The registers date from 1679. Part of the former vicarage, located to the south of the church, dates from around 1378.
The graveyard is the burial place of the reknowned English wood engraver and ornithologist Thomas Bewick and his wife Isabella. See photo below.
Text harvested from GENUKI: Ovingham, Northumberland Genealogy
Northumberland Communities Website - Historic Manuscripts from Ovingham