In 1924 the introduction of the "Air Defence of Great Britain" led to the provision of a Raid Reporting System delegated to a committee with representatives from the Air Ministry, Home Office and the Post Office. This was later to become known as the Observer Corps and awarded the title Royal by King George VI in 1941 as a recognition of its service during the Battle of Britain. The corps was created to provide a system for detecting, tracking and reporting aircraft over Britain. During World War 2 it was complementary to and often replaced the radar system in that it provided an 'over land' element while radar handled the 'over water approach' requirement.
In 1955 the detection and reporting of nuclear blasts and fall-out was introduced. By 1965 the aircraft role was no longer needed and the corps formed the field force for the United Kingdom Warning and Monitoring Organisation (UKWMO) until both organisations were disbanded in the early 1990s when the Cold war ended.
Text adapted from Royal Observer Corps - Wikipedia
More Abandoned Photography:
Cherry Knowle Hospital
St Mary's Asylum, Stannington
Abandoned Farm in Wylam
Swan Hunters Shipyards
AP Appledore Shipyard - Disused
Subterranea Britannica - History of the R.O.C.
Wikipedia - Royal Observer Corps
Ponteland ROC post at 28 Days Later
Flickr - Royal Observer Corps. Posts/Bunkers
BBC WW2 People's War - The Royal Observatory Corps