The castle may have started as a solar tower, which could have been added to an existing manor house approximately 1315. Further towers appear to have been added incrementally throughout the course of the fourteenth century.
Early owners included Fitz-Marmaduke, Viscount Lumley and Gascoigne. In 1607, the castle was purchased by Thomas Liddell, a wealthy Newcastle-upon-Tyne merchant. Liddell and his family would hold onto the estate for the following 300 years, much of their fortune would come from coal mining on the land, beginning in the early 17th century.
In 1724 Sir Henry Liddell built a substantial mansion within the curtilage of the castle, but this was demolished in 1808 by Sir Thomas Liddell, and replaced by a grand house designed in the Gothic Revival style by architect John Nash. The Duke of Wellington was entertained there in October 1827.
Georgiana, Lady Bloomfield, daughter of Sir Thomas Liddell wrote about visiting the castle in 1831, while still in her childhood.
Around 1935, the family began mining for coal directly under the house, with demolition of the building starting around the same time. The intention was to use the wreckage to build a model village, but with the interruption of World War II, only three houses were created. The majority of the house had been demolished by 1953.
Description courtesy of Wikipedia.
4th July 2013
My other Urban Exploration photos:
- Cherry Knowle Hospital (Sunderland Borough Asylum)
- St Mary's Asylum, Stannington
- Hunters Moor Hospital
- J&W Lowry - Abandoned Shopfitters
- Ponteland R.O.C. (Royal Observer Corps)
- Abandoned Farm in Wylam
- Cresswell Hall and Pele Tower
- AP Appledore Shipyard
- Associated Lead Factory
- Heritage at Risk - Ravensworth Castle, Cross Lane, Lamesley - Gateshead
- Historic England - Ravensworth Castle
- Historic England - Arch, Walls and Towers to west of Ravensworth Castle
- Historic England - Stable Block and Gatehouses to east of Ravensworth Castle
- Historic England - Well in Stable Yardof Ravensworth Castle
- Gatehouse Gazetteer - Ravensworth Castle
- Sunniside Local History Society - Ravensworth Castle and the Liddells
- Wikipedia - Ravensworth Castle (Tyne and Wear)
- Derelict Places - Ravensworth Castle, Gateshead
- Britain From Above - Ravensworth Castle, Lamesley, 1927
- Urbex Forums - Ravensworth Castle, Gateshead
- Gateshead History - Ravensworth Castle
- Co-Curate - Ravensworth Castle
- Dicamillo - Ravensworth Castle
- Sitelines - Ravensworth Castle (medieval)
- ITV News - Aerial views of hidden Ravensworth Castle
Post a Comment