Willington Gut

The stream that trickles through Richardson Dees Park, Wallsend Civic Hall Grounds and Wallsend Burn eventually opens out into Willington Gut before it enters the river Tyne.


October 2011










Willington Viaduct

Iron railway viaduct over Willington Dene, spanning a distance of c.320m with seven spans, supported on stone piers. Construction began in 1837 by John and Benjamin Green for Newcastle and North Shields Railway Company.







Willington Mill

Willington Mill, also known as Kitty's Mill, was one of England's first steam powered flour mills. The Victorians regarded it as the most haunted building in the North of the Country. The building is now listed and is used as a canteen for the rope works along side.







Willington Quay Boat Club





OLD PHOTOS


select this to view the full sized image at the SINE projectLandscape photo of the Rope Works, Willington Mill and the Willington Viaduct.
View from the southeast.
Image from October 1972.
©SINE Project





select this to view the full sized image at the SINE projectLandscape photo, looking out from under the A187 road bridge towards the Willington ropeworks, Willington Mill and the Willington Viaduct.
View from the south.
Image from October 1972.
©SINE Project




select this to view the full sized image at the SINE projectLandscape photo looking from under the Willington Viaduct towards the rope walk.
View from the southeast.
Image from October 1972.
©SINE Project





select this to view the full sized image at the SINE projectLandscape photo looking at the span of the Willington Viaduct.
View from the southwest.
Image from 6 July 1961.
©SINE Project





select this to view the full sized image at the SINE projectLandscape photo looking at the length of Willington Viaduct, with the ropery below.
View from the southwest.
Image from October 1972.
©SINE Project





select this to view the full sized image at the SINE projectLandscape photo looking from under the A187 road bridge towards the rope works, Willington Mill and the Willington Viaduct.
View from the south.
Image from October 1972.
©SINE Project




select this to view the full sized image at the SINE projectLandscape photo looking under the Willington Viaduct towards the rope works.
View from the south.
Image from October 1972.
©SINE Project





select this to view the full sized image at the SINE projectLandscape photo looking at the length of Willington Viaduct.
View from the east.
Image from 3 August 1981.
©SINE Project









More Information:
Willington Dene and Willington Quay
Monkchester: Willington Quay Photos
Workmen unloading raw material from a barge in Willington Gut for Messrs Hood Haggie's rope works, January 1933
Willington Mill's ghostly past explored in book
Willington Dene and Willington Quay
North Tyneside - Willington Gut Footbridge

No comments: