Walbottle is a village on the western outskirts of Newcastle. The village name, recorded in 1176 as "Walbotl", is derived from the Old English botl (building) on the Roman Wall. There are a number of Northumbrian villages which are suffixed "-bottle".
Bede, in his Ecclesiastical History of the English People, refers to a royal estate called Ad Murum near the Roman Wall where, in 653 AD, the King of the Middle Angles, Peada, and the King of the East Saxons, Sigeberht, were both baptised into the Christian faith by Bishop Finan, having been persuaded to do so by King Oswy of Northumbria. Historians have identified Ad Murum with Walbottle.
Information harvested from Walbottle - Wikipedia
The Orchard was planted entirely by local people in 1998, and is looked after by the city council's park rangers and local volunteers. The animals featuring on the ornate gates were designed and painted by local schoolchildren. In season, you can pick raspberries, plums, apples or gooseberries, or at any time of year just enjoy the peace and the birdsong.
Historic Ordnance Survey Map of Walbottle
Durham Mining Museum - Walbottle Colliery
The class of 2 North at Walbottle Grammar School in April 1964
Walbottle Dene Culvert
Flickr user Jax60' s photos of Walbottle
View Larger Map