Richard Grainger Memorial

Tucked away in the bottom end of Waterloo Street lies this memorial to Richard and Rachael Grainger.

Richard Grainger (1797–1861) was a builder in Newcastle upon Tyne. He worked together with the architects John Dobson and Thomas Oliver, and with the town clerk, John Clayton, to redevelop the centre of Newcastle in the 19th century. Grainger Street and the Grainger Market are named after him; sometimes the whole area of Newcastle developed in the Neoclassical style around Grey Street and Grainger Street is referred to as Grainger Town.

Description courtesy of Wikipedia.






4th May 2011










More Information:
See my other photos concerning Richard Grainger:
See my other photos around Waterloo Street:

4 comments:

Yvonne Young said...

Richard Grainger`s burial plot has been tidied up and painted in St James Church yard, Benwell Lane. It looks alot better than when it was covered in rust!. Why did they let it get so bad?

Archive for Change have been filming in the area. This is my piece for the project.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/wkqn4L9qg1Q

Newcastle Photos said...

Thanks for the heads up. I would pop up there and gets some more pics but the churchyard is always locked whenever I pass the area.

Great video, thanks.

Is there still regular meetings in the library up there?

Newcastle Photos said...

Our original comments disappeared when Blogger was having a few problems last week but I've restored yours and here is mine

Thanks for the heads up. I would pop up there and gets some more pics but the churchyard is always locked whenever I pass the area.

Great video, thanks.

Is there still regular meetings in the library up there?

Brightraven94@Hotmail.com said...

Fine on Richard Grainger, he made Newcastle what it is today and certainly left a mark, several bearing his name today. I have been trying to recall which four of his 13 children had Benwell Streets named after him. It is a long time since I saw the answer somewhere. I was at the site of his home there a short while ago, Elswick Hall. He imagined it to be the centre of Newcastle but that was not to be.