Blucher

Blucher is a former pit village in Newcastle, about half a mile east of Walbottle. The village grew up around Blucher Pit, which was part of Walbottle Colliery, and named after the Prussian Field Marshal von Blücher - an ally of the Duke of Wellington in the victory over Napoleon in the Battle of Warterloo. George Stephenson also named one of his early locomotives "Blücher" after von Blücher. The Methodist Church in the village of Blucher was dedicated to Stephenson. Blucher Pit closed in 1956.

Description courtesy of Co-Curate.






6th May 2014




Blucher Colliery Road Play Area.






11th March 2011



Blucher Terrace Allotments.




Blucher Colliery Road Play Area.






12th April 2010



Blucher and District Social Club.




Stephenson Memorial Methodist Church.

Built 1906. Red brick with ashlar dressings. Simple Gothic gable-fronted church with lancet windows and attached hall to north. In 2003 the hall was extended.

Source: Sitelines.




Stephenson Terrace.







Spencer Terrace.




Spencer and Simpson Terrace Back Lane.






Simpson Terrace.









More Information:
See my other photos around Blucher:

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having lived in the village with
my Mother, Father and my Grandparents whose house it was at
12 Stephenson Terrace ( facing the
main road. My Parents lived there
until we got our brand new house at 5 The Grove at West Denton in
1947. Lived there until I married
and bought our own new Bungalow at
Winlaton estate. My mother died in 1968, and I had to move Dad in
to Sheltered Housing in Lemington.
Because of the cold winters he
eventually went to my younger brother's home in Johanisberg where he died in 1982.

Anonymous said...

You would have known my grandparents Alfred and Alice Bell, who lived at no 13 Stephenson’s Terrace.

Anonymous said...

I used to live at 29 Boyd terrace in the 90s that was the days

Unknown said...

My gran and grandad lived at 2 Spencer terrace ,George and Margaret Dobson ,9 children ,left to go to cambios pit in 1920

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the photos of the Bulcher estate. I have traced my x3 great grandparents to that area in the 1911 census. Gave me a bit more insight into their lives!
Mike

Newcastle Photos said...

You are welcome, I'm pleased to have been of some help.