Eldon Square Shopping Centre Redevelopment

The development involves the demolition of the existing shopping centre mall and a multi-story car park between Clayton Street and Newgate Street and rebuilding it to provide a new four-storey Debenhams department store and two-level modern shops along a wider mall. Work will be completed in Spring 2010.

The car park on Newgate Street in July 2007 just before demolition. See my photos of the Greenmarket taken just before the demolition.











8th August 2007









29th October 2007











2nd December 2007








24th March 2008









22nd June 2008








23rd June 2008










15th August 2008








4th September 2008








12th October 2008












9th November 2008












14th December 2008












15th March 2009










19th April 2009











24th June 2009









12th July 2009










28th February 2010















More Information:
See my other photos around Eldon Square:

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's happened to my old home?

The place is so different now. :(

Lawrence

Newcastle Photos said...

There has been an incredible amount of change around here lately most of which does'nt feature on here as there is too much to cover :)

Steve Brown said...

Great photos... great website... I still live in the toon and see the changes all the time but nice to see them step-by-step..

well done!

steve

stevo said...

Love the site !
I can't help but think this new development is a missed opportunity to create something beautiful ! Still its an improvement on the car park .

Newcastle Photos said...

Thanks.
I'm not overly keen on the new look either. Newgate street now seems a little squeezed now.

Anonymous said...

I lived in Newcastle from 1999 - 2007. I went up recently and wandered round this area and round Chinatown/NUFC/Newcastle Uni. So very different now.

Round Chinatown and down to Eldon/Grainger area loads better - before there had been some developments of flats, now with some street improvements/pedestrianisation it feels like a smart little town - like a trendy little area. I liked it. Felt like what I saw started had finally been completed.

I still had an 'all you get eat' at Lau's Buffet King though - some habits never change!

But if Ikon ever gets demolished - I will cry! I like how it had barely changed since Get Carter!