This Victorian Cemetery was opened as ‘Byker & Heaton Cemetery’ on April 24th 1890. It is a large space enclosed within a brick wall. Within it are two fine chapels to the north and south of a lodge at the west entrance gates. A tree-lined central avenue runs the length of the cemetery, and paths branch from this to form a grid in the cemetery .
The Landscape Design of the Cemeteries in Newcastle upon Tyne. Tells the history of the cemetery.