Leazes Park was Newcastle’s first public park. It was designed by John Laing and opened by Alderman Sir Charles Hamond on the 23rd of December 1873. It became the first public or peoples park created on Tyneside for the purposes of exercise and recreation. The Council minutes show that the park was laid out over a number of years and could not be appreciated as 'complete' until the 1890's.
The park centres on a lake, and its design remained substantially intact through the 20th century, although some original features, such as the bandstand, shelter, urns and statues, were lost. Leazes Park is listed Grade II on the English Heritage Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest and lies within Leazes Park Conservation Area in Newcastle city centre.
In 1996 the first round of Heritage Lottery Bid proposals were started and on the 19th April 2001 the Heritage Lottery Fund approved the Leazes Park Restoration Project and provided a grant of £3.7 million to restore the park.
Three large panoramic photographs of Leazes Park.
Click for biggery then click "View Full Size" under the picture to see it at the real size.
And finally, a handful photos of photos taken by reader Richard Walker of the lake when it froze over recently and then was covered with a fresh snowfall. Thanks Richard.
And a couple more photos from Richard Walker. Thanks Richard.