St. George's Church, consecrated in 1888. A local shipbuilder, Charles Mitchell, appointed his shipyard architect, Thomas Ralph Spence, to design and build St. George's. The result is a Church that cannot easily be labelled, with a splendid Italianate tower dominating Jesmond and an ornate chancel, baptistry and roof of great artistic merit; the use of tile and mosaic in the style of Art Nouveau is particularly striking. The organ is one of the best in the diocese and the musical tradition continues in the context of the Family Communion.
Description harvested from Northumbria.info