Walker Road Demolition

The first batch of photos have been taken at the west end of Walker Road between Allendale Road and Monkchester Road over the last couple of years as the demolition progresses.

2006

Birds Nest Bar

Walker Road

Walker Road

Walker Road

Walker Road

Walker Road

Walker Road

Walker Road

Walker Road

Walker Road

Walker Road


2007

Walker Road

Walker Road

Walker Road

Walker Road

Walker Road

Walker Road



2008

Walker Road

Walker Road

Walker Road


2009

Walker Road

Walker Road




Photos from east of the St Anthony's Road junction.

2007

Walker Road

Walker Road


2008

Walker Road

Walker Road

Walker Road

Walker Road

Walker Road

Walker Road

Walker Road

Walker Road

Walker Road

Walker Road

Walker Road

Walker Road

Walker Road

Walker Road



February 2010
A panoramic photo showing the stretch of Walker Road between Monkchester Road and Allendale Road. The new houses can be seen set further back from Walker Road than the previous builds.




April 2010





February 2013




December 2013










August 2014
Photos taken on the stretch from Pottery Bank to Allendale Road showing the cleared spaces and construction of new houses.




































A few of the photos in the second half of this page centre around no 1308 Walker Road as a request for a reader called Robert Miller, now living in Devon, who was born there in 1941 and lived there with his family. Robert was kind enough to send this photo of his grandmother standing in the doorway.


© Robert Miller

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I lived in Walker road, just beyond the now 'Bhandal's Off Licence' as a boy from 1938 - 1945 At that time they were very pleasant homes with hot water heated by a fire in the living room. I spent hours on top of the coal house watching the ships - there were many at that time.
When we moved to London in 1945 I was terribly homesick.

Any questions I can answer?

Ian

ILuvNUFC said...

Funnily enough a lot of the photos taken centre around number 1308 Walker Road, which I think would have been near you, for a reader who was born there in 1941. His name is Bob Miller if you can remember him or his family get in touch with me and I will pass his emailm address on to you with his permission.

Anonymous said...

I lived at 876 but the name Bob Miller doesn't ring a bell. During the war years there was a factory opposite our row 'Angus's' - about 1943 I suppose, it burned down - maybe a bomb but I doen't know now.

ILuvNUFC said...

When I saw the number you used to live at I had to check with the wife as I thought we also lived there for a short while in the late 80's but it turns out it was number 976 that we lived at.

Anonymous said...

My Great Grandfather Edward Harding lived at 483 Walker Road until the 1940 s He ran the post office there until he was 90, then it was taken over by his niece Gladys in the 1950 s. Would no 483 be in these photos?

ILuvNUFC said...

I'm not sure. I'll have a look around next time I'm down there at the weekend.
There has been a few more blocks demolished in recent weeks.

Phil 60smods said...

Hi *Southern person here* Oh No
Myself and my partner are leaving Sussex and moving upto Wonderful Newcastle, But we are looking at a property in Ryton Terrace, Do you know if it is safe from demolition and what is it like around Walker ?
Any MOD groups around, Found some in Whitley bay. Thanks Phil

ILuvNUFC said...

Hello Phil, as far as I know there is no demolition planned in that area.

Regarding living in Walker, it depends what you are used to really. There are a hell of a lot of good people in the area and some bad. Parts of Walker are some of the most deprived areas in Newcastle.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by MOD groups.