The parish of St. Charles' came into being at Coxlodge in 1861. The acre or so of land on which the church now stands in Gosforth was donated by George Dunn Jnr.
An iron church was opened on 20th December 1896. These “temporary iron structures” were not very popular as they were very cold in winter and like ovens in summer.
Building of the current stone church began with the blessing and laying of a foundation stone by the Right Rev. Richard Collins, Bishop of Hexham and Newcastle, on 14th August 1910.
St. Charles’ new church was dedicated in 1911. The solemn opening was a Pontifical High Mass celebrated by Bishop Collins on 3rd December 1911.
Description harvested from History of St. Charles. Click on the link for more info and old photos.
St Charles' Website
View Larger Map