Photos of Newcastle

Spital Tongues

Spital Tongues is an area located north west of the city centre of Newcastle upon Tyne

Its unusual name is believed to be derived from 'spital' - a corruption of the word 'hospital' that is quite commonly found in UK place names (for example Spitalfields) - and 'tongues', meaning outlying pieces of land. Edward I gave two such 'tongues' of land to the St Mary Magdalene Hospital - hence 'hospital tongues' and eventually 'Spital Tongues'.


        


        


        


Spital Tongues        Spital Tongues


Spital Tongues        Spital Tongues


Spital Tongues        Spital Tongues


Spital Tongues        Spital Tongues


Spital Tongues        Spital Tongues


Spital Tongues        Spital Tongues


Spital Tongues        Spital Tongues


Spital Tongues        Spital Tongues


Spital Tongues


Spital Tongues        Spital Tongues        Spital Tongues





A handful of photos of the area submitted by Richard Walker a reader of this site and a resident of Spital Tongues. Thanks Richard



 





 






Old Photos

Muriel Latour, an ex-pat Geordie, now living in Canada kindly sent these photos of her family that lived in the Spital Tongues area.

Muriel says My grandfather(Tot) had a house on Dunn's Terrace with a byres and farm yard with about 12 or so cows directly across on the other side of the road. It was a dairy farm and he used to graze his cows on the moor and bring them for milking (by hand) up Hunters Road! The dairy was called Stephenson Bros Dairy.
The oldest photos taken, I would guess, date from around 1886 - 1888, as my grandfather is in them as a young boy and he was born in 1876.

The other two are of him and his brother Joe, with one of the dairy cows and one of Joe with the horse and trap that was used to deliver the milk.





Joe, Tot's brother with the Stephenson Bros. Dairy cart and horse.
© Muriel Latour











Stephenson Family
© Muriel Latour











Tot and Joe
© Muriel Latour










Uncle Bob, Aunt Margot and my grandfather Tot
© Muriel Latour










All of these photos remain © Muriel Latour and must not be used in any format without consent.





More info:
Spital Tongues History Society



6 comments:

Muriel said...

Interesting to see the development of Spital Tongues, especially Dunns Terrace off Hunters Road.

My grandfather had a house there complete with byres with about 12 or so cows and farmyard It was a dairy farm and he used to graze his cows on the moor and bring them for milking (by hand) up Hunters Road! It was called Stephenson Bros Dairy and I do have a couple of old pictures.

Muriel

ILuvNUFC said...

If I'm honest I'd say I did'nt know the area at all until the last couple of years in which I've had a few wanders around the area.

I do have a few more pictures of the area from a recent trip up there to put up here at some stage soon so I'll see if anyone of them feature the streets you mention although I'm almost sure that the Dunns Tce area was demolished in recent years and is now modern houses.

If you would like to contribute the photos you have to this page I would be delighted. Or if you have them on a website anywhere maybe I could use a thumbnail of the images and link them to your site with the full size photos on. You would retain full copyright of any images used and I could'nt profit as this site does'nt make me a penny, it's very much a labour of love.

Thanks.

Muriel said...

Pictures on their way via. e-mail. Hope they come through

ILuvNUFC said...

Thanks very much. :)
I'll be in touch soon.

Anonymous said...

Belle Grove Terrace was also the family home of T Dan Smith I knew him and his family and they were very nice kind people.

Pat watson said...

My grandmother (Fenwick) lived on Claremont Road, having swopped houses with my great grandparents (Littlefair) from Morpeth Street. My aunt & uncle lived on Sheraton Street (Armistead) later moving to Mill House. They drank in the Belle Grove pub and were friends with T Dan Smith. I have a photo of aunt & uncle and my grandmother in the Belle Grove. I was christened in St Luke's church. I also have a photo of my Uncle Billy Fenwick who drove for Harton, later Birds Laundry.