Tyne Cyclist and Pedestrian Tunnel runs under the River Tyne between Howdon and Jarrow, and was opened in 1951. It actually consists of two tunnels running in parallel, one for pedestrian use with a 10'6" (3.2 m) diameter, and a wider 12' (3.66 m) diameter tunnel for pedal cyclists. The tunnels are 900 ft (274 m) in length, and lie at 40 ft (12.3 m) below the river bed.
At each end, the tunnels are connected to surface buildings by four escalators and lifts. The Waygood-Otis escalators have 306 wooden steps each, and are the original models from 1951. At the time of construction, they were the longest single-rise escalators in the world, with a vertical rise of 85ft (25.9m) and a length of approximately 200 ft (60 m).
The entrance of the north tunnel is now built on top of the house that Robert Stephenson was born in.
Starting at the south side these photos are in order of the walkthrough.
In pictures: Building the first Tyne Tunnel