Photos of Newcastle

Tyne Pedestrian Tunnel

Tyne Cyclist and Pedestrian Tunnel runs under the River Tyne between Howdon and Jarrow, and was opened in 1951. It actually consists of two tunnels running in parallel, one for pedestrian use with a 10'6" (3.2 m) diameter, and a wider 12' (3.66 m) diameter tunnel for pedal cyclists. The tunnels are 900 ft (274 m) in length, and lie at 40 ft (12.3 m) below the river bed.

At each end, the tunnels are connected to surface buildings by four escalators and lifts. The Waygood-Otis escalators have 306 wooden steps each, and are the original models from 1951. At the time of construction, they were the longest single-rise escalators in the world, with a vertical rise of 85ft (25.9m) and a length of approximately 200 ft (60 m).

The entrance of the north tunnel is now built on top of the house that Robert Stephenson was born in.

September 2012











August 2006

Starting at the south side these photos are in order of the walkthrough.






























A 5 minute video of a walk through the tunnel





A video shot on a bike going through the tunnel




More information:
In pictures: Building the first Tyne Tunnel






9 comments:

Pat said...

thank you, I used to walk through the Tyne Tunnel with my Grandmother about 55 years ago and it hasnt changed one bit, I can still see her, especially with cuban heeled suede shoes walking all the way, no thoughts of her safety, often in the dark at night.We lived in Sunderland and she went home to North Shields.thank you for the memories.

ILuvNUFC said...

You are most welcome. :)

You're right about it not changing one bit, I reckon it's in desperate need of a bit of a make over these days.

John said...

I say if it aint broke don't fix it. It seems to me that so many changes around the area get made just for changes sake. This isn't a recent curse...just look back through old photos of places like South Shields and it seems that every generation of decision-makers has been hellbent on erasing all trace of those before them. Generations to come will curse the short-sighted cultural vandalism of today and days recently passed. Preserve and Protect.
P.S : I used to love peddling to Jarrow so that I could go howling through the tunnel on my ten-speed treddly. I hope it still smells of fustiness and seeping lime.
Cheers.

ILuvNUFC said...

Yeh I know what you mean but a lick of paint and a good clean up would'nt go amiss. And yes it still stinks. :)

Anonymous said...

I can remember going through this tunnel with my brother and friends on a bike about 50 years ago - going down the escalator with the bike was very scary - have just found this site - its brilliant - my thanks to you

Anonymous said...

I can remember going through this tunnel with my brother and friends on a bike about 50 years ago - going down the escalator with the bike was very scary - have just found this site - its brilliant - my thanks to you

ILuvNUFC said...

Still just as much fun on a bike now but we used the lift to get our bikes downstairs. Thanks for the compliments about my site,

Johnson (nee Spoor) said...

Used to meet my Dad who worked in Jarrow and we lived in Howden. Moved to South Wales 1953 and now live in Broome North Western Australia. Hope to return on 2016 and see the tunnel again so pleased its still there.

ILuvNUFC said...

The tunnels are currently closed for refurbishment and not expected to re-open until 2018. http://www.tynepedestrianandcyclisttunnels.co.uk/