Photos of Newcastle

All Saints Church

All Saints Church is situated on the brow of a steep bank, on the south side of Silver-street, at the foot of Pilgrim-street. It was erected on 1796, at a cost of £27,000, on the site of the former church of All Saints, which was erected previous to the year 1284, but the precise date is not known. It is an elliptical structure of 86 feet by 72, and in the Grecian Style of architecture, the spire having an elevation of 202 feet. This elegant edifice is constructed of freestone, and the pews are all formed of mahogany.


May 2011






September 2010



























June 2010










October 2009

















A photo of the wheelchair entrance that has been cut out of the wall kindly sent in by Pete Besthood.



Older Photos


All Saints Church All Saints Church




All Saints Church All Saints Church




All Saints Church All Saints Church




All Saints Church All Saints Church




All Saints Church All Saints Church




All Saints Church All Saints Church




All Saints Church All Saints Church




All Saints Church All Saints Church




All Saints Church All Saints Church




All Saints Church All Saints Church




All Saints Church All Saints Church




All Saints Church All Saints Church




All Saints Church All Saints Church




All Saints Church




All Saints Church All Saints Church All Saints Church




All Saints Church All Saints Church All Saints Church




All Saints Church All Saints Church



Here is a video clip of in around the church taken from a TV programme called Pevsners Cities. Thanks to Hippy Tony for ripping the clip from TV.






More information:
Newcastle, All Saints, Northumberland:- Church History
Newcastle, All Saints, Northumberland:- Church Records




11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello.
I stumbled accross your amazing site earlier today while searching for photos of North Gosforth Cemetary. Sadly it seems that you have profiled every cemetary in Newcaslte except this one, is there a reason for this? and will you be publishing any photos in the near future? Meantime keep up the good work.

ILuvNUFC said...

Hello and thanks for your kind words.
I'm sure the cemetery you mention is not the only one I have missed but I should get around to them all sooner or later.
Do you mean the cemetery on Hollywood Ave or is there another?
Let me know where the one you mean is and I will make it first on my list next time I'm around there.

Anonymous said...

I am an international student who moved to Newcastle in September and one of my first 'discoveries' was the All Saint's Church. I love the solemn eeriness of the attendant cemetery and the inside of the church is one of the most beautiful I have ever seen. Simply done, the ceiling alone I find much more pleasing than most over-done cathedral vaults. I hope others stumble upon this blog and the church itself.

ILuvNUFC said...

Even though you can see the church from many places it is quite well hidden and well off the main path. I've lived in Newcastle all my life and I've never been inside the church. I will have to pay another visit to see if I can have a look around inside.

lawrence said...

Some good night shots there Steve!

ILuvNUFC said...

Thanks.
I don't normally do many night time shoots due to the camera I use but some of them turned out ok after a little processing.

Anonymous said...

My ancestors Emmanuel Rebair and Anne Ament were married in this church on December 31 1820

CN, Cramlington, Northumberland said...

Thank you so much for this marvelous site. I too have lived in this area all my life and have ancestors christened, married and burried at All Saints Church, Newcastle (or St Willibrord With All Saints Church as it is sometimes known). I visited the church for the first time yesterday, 2 October 2011 and was both astounded and dismayed. Astounded by it's unique shape and stunning beauty, but dismayed at the lack of importance apparently being given to preserve it. It's on the English Heritage site as a Grade 1 listed building, with Newcastle City Council being the responsible authortiy but sadly much of it has had to be closed off to the public this year because damage caused by the harsh winter has not yet been rectified. The main part of the church, which can be seen from the photos above, is used for worship each Sunday and looks amazing. There is damage to the roof, however, and behind the scenes ceilings are down and rubble lies strewn around. The bishop is trying his hardest to get the repairs done and save this fabulous historic site but, so far to no avail. With winter 11/12 almost upon us the future of this church could be at stake. It is an absolute gem and I feel that Newcastle should be proud to show it off not have to close it.

Anonymous said...

i was there yesterday and found the secret entrance for wheelchairs.i suprised there is not a picture of it here

Anonymous said...

forgot to mention that the secret wntrance is on the wall of church [outer] and if you go in graveyard you will see metal plates on ground and if you look at the wall there you can see the section that slides out for wheelchair access.

Rhonda Kennedy said...

Will someone please tell me where I can get an email or a website with a comment box for the All-Saints Church on Pilgrim Street in Newcastle Upon Tyne? I am trying to get information about my ancestors and am stuck. I live in USA. Thanks. Rhonda